Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Monday, November 07, 2005

Week 6: Communities

Communities in cyberspace: Marc Smith and Peter Kollock

Reading “Communities in cyberspace” I am struck by how much of a laggard I am in terms of technology adoption. I am yet to take advantage of the new social spaces computer networks have created where people can talk to each other. I think it is because I am somehow not comfortable with the anonymity of chat rooms or discussion lists. I can’t see myself exchanging personal details with a faceless stranger. I need to meet people at some personal/professional level before carrying on a meaningful conversation. I guess that is why I don’t really enjoy reality TV either.
However, I do understand the convenience and flexibility of online interaction and have lurked around a few NewsGroups for work-related stuff, but I am not too sure about finding “community” on the ether, unless the participants have some common background or have had some prior interaction in person. Anyway, I appreciate the authors’ attempt to not value judge online interaction as “good” or “bad,” but try and analyze the patterns of interaction and organization as they exist
Also, the conservatism of cyberspace was something I found thought-provoking. Gender and Race are central features in most cyber-interaction, specially gender. “‘RUIMF’ (are u male or female) was such a commonly asked question that it was long abbreviated” No such abbreviations exist for age, weight, nationality etc. Isn’t it ironic that even so called “modern” media users can't break free of stereotypes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home