Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Week 8: Applicable technologies

Reading: Web Redesign, Chapter 6, Phase 4 : Production and Quality Assessment
The article provided a detailed overview of the production workflow with some practical business and time management tips.
Introduced me to new concepts like client spec sheet, slicing, splicing, backend & front-end integration, guerilla testing … I liked that, especially the house-building/web design analogy (Pg 14). I thought it worked!
However, at times I felt I am reading something abstract without getting my hands dirty; like too much theory without practice. Now, I am raring to actually build a website and implement some of what I am learning.
As for the website design itself, I am not sure if the interspersed profiles (Kassirer, Zeldman) helped or distracted me. Though, I liked the content of these interviews, I think they interrupted my flow of thought. I guess, in a real (as opposed to virtual) magazine format, this would not have been an issue as the scrolling function would not have been vital to reading. But wait, maybe I am wrong. Maybe this is a chapter from a book that’s been scanned in? Is it?

1 Comments:

Blogger Drew Keller said...

I don't know if this is at all helpful, but why not start building a simple web site? You have server space at UW. You are learning some fundimentals with the H.O.T. book. All you really need is content. So perhaps build a simple photo/essay site of life here in Seattle for your family. Or just do a random topic. At this stage the content is not as important as "getting your hands dirty". That is what I have been doing and it has helped me to better understand the tools. Just a thought, for what it is worth.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home